Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ode to Summer

(Summer sunset while camping in Nevada last year.)

This summer has just flown by. I mean really fast! I think this has been the fastest summer yet for me. Even my 12yo is commenting on it.

At least it has been a nice one. Not too many days of hard to handle heat, here in our neck of the woods. Some camping, some traveling, lots of people that I got to see and hang out with. Lots of barbecues, picnics, and events. Maybe that's partly why it has zoomed by so quickly. Not to mention that this year for the first time I actually set a date for returning back to our school studies. Somehow that makes the summer officially finite. We are always counting down, instead of me just thinking, oh, sometime in September we will begin, we'll see. Now we know when it is and somehow that makes it more imminent. My boys are already dreading it...I'm not, really. Just amazed at how fast our 'free time' has gone.

This summer we actually continued to study one subeject, history. It has kept me with somewhat of a schedule, at least on the days that we do it:) I'm glad that we have done it. It's sonlight, so it's all verbal questions and reading aloud to the children from books that we enjoy, maybe I'll start a tradition:)

So, in just a couple of weeks we will be back to a schedule. No more late, late nights and doing silly things like staying up till midnight with the kids to watch Superman (the one with Christopher Reeve) with popcorn and chocolate milk. (That night Zakary said, "Now don't take this wrong mom, but after tonight, I will have to say you are as fun as Dad.")
No more deciding at the last minute to go bowling with our friends and spontaneously stop at the park afterwards with ice cream bars. No more sleeping in until 10am while the kids watch cartoons because I went to a friends house after bedtime and stayed chatting over coffee and chocolate torte until 1am!!! Ahhhh the joys of summertime:)

But wait, why do I think that there is no room for such frivolties during the rest of the year? Perhaps a smattering here and there of such spontenaity is just the cure for those times when all I can think is, "I can't wait until Summer!!"

1 comment:

Rebeca said...

It was great to see you last week Autumn! This summer has flown by for us too, but I love fall and I'm ready for it. (Not for winter though!) And of course, fall doesn't equal school around here, not quite yet, so we don't have that transition to make.
Do you like Sonlight? I've heard good things about it, although I doubt I'll go with a whole package deal like that, but maybe use some parts. I do want something that's literature based.
Hope you guys have a good weekend!
Rebeca