Saturday, January 14, 2006

And Another Thing...

Well, I don't like to rant about things but...
I was watcnhing a Saturday morning kid show with the children this morning. It's a sort of kids version of LOST. (which by the way the hubby and I are addicted to.)
It's cute; 7 or so kids were on a plane that crashed into an island and they are stranded there until help comes. There were a few interesting oddities, that in today's technological world maybe aren't as odd as they seemed. One had a video camera...that worked. One boy hooked up a radio to play contemporary rock music and eventually was able to hook the video camera up to the loudspeaker and embarrass one of the s who had confessed a crush on one of the boys. (Typical TV teenage drama with the added detail of being stranded on an island.)
Anyway, two of the kids went off to look for food. They discover this little wild pig and devise different ways to try and trap it throughout the show. Finally at the end of the show they succeed and then are feeling a little woozy about actually having to kill the little guy. (understandable) But of course if they don't eat they will starve because after all, they are stranded on an island. Then in typical survivor fashion the one character is talking to the camera musing over the decision they have to make and she says, "...even though we are stranded on this island and we have to make the best of our situation I still want to feel good about myself when we are rescued."
Then the scene switches back to the two lifting the pig up out the trap and...
letting it go!
I donno, maybe it's the fact that I'm married to an ex-butchers' son or something but what message is being taught to our children? To quote him, "where do they think those packages of meat in the grocery store come from?"
I would have a hard time ending the life of a little pig too, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
This really bothered me. Is the western world so idealistic that even in the face of starvation we couldn't possibly allow 15yr olds to act like grown-ups? I can't explain why this bothered me so much except what comes to mind are Hindu's who worship cows and would starve rather than kill and eat one. And even beyond that the absurd idea that we are mere animals ourselves and no better then they, if not worse.
It has so many layers that I am hard pressed to put into words my frustration.

No comments: