Monday, January 23, 2006

Tough Day

Today is a tough day for some reason. I can't seem to keep my mind on track with what we are supposed to be doing. School has felt like walking through quicksand...and it's not just the kids. I find myself looking directly at my son and not really comprehending what he is saying. But then I am irritated when he doesn't listen to me.
Days like this are so discouraging. But shouldn't I expect them by now? Yet when they come I feel like such a failure. I look at the messes here and there and the projects piling up in my mental list...and even things that I haven't thought of for weeks suddenly seem urgent and impossible to ever accomplish.
I know that tomorrow I may look at these same things and not be overwhelmed...but today, today it seems such a burden.
I think that we should plan for these kinds of days. Maybe to recognize them sooner and not try to "plow through" and do everything we thought we would do. Maybe have a back up plan, like today instead we will sit in the living room and read a great book. Or play games. Or plan a nap into the day instead of one of our subjects.

Or is it better for us to make ourselves "plow through" and force ourselves to accomplish our goals even when it's hard. Which is more important? Flexibility or perseverance? And when do we know?

I suppose one day I will look back and know for sure. I will know that it was good that we plowed through and created character in my kids. Or I will say, I wish we would've been even more flexible and enjoyed our time together instead of making it a chore when we felt the need to rest.
For now, maybe I will be sure and take a nap today.
Maybe after that I will know.

1 comment:

Rebeca said...

The Nap and Flexibility sound pretty good to me! I relate the the struggle. It is hard to know sometimes what really is the important thing to do. Then again, maybe it doesn't matter so much what thing we choose to do, but if we're able to do it with love. Hmmmm, sometimes that's even harder. :> Hope you got your nap!