Monday, January 16, 2006

Education or Not?


Tyler, with his cousin, Baby Autumn Posted by Picasa



Today I am home with the kids and keeping on schedule with our home schooling. It feels good to be into a routine and 'forced' to make it work. (I am watching 2 little boys ages 4 & 15mos) I have to get up at 7am because someone's actually at the door, not just an alarm with a very handy snooze button. I have to make sure that school is rolling along because the little one's need lunch at 11:30 and don't wait well. I have to make sure that I do the boys History at nap time or else I won't be able to concentrate while reading to them amidst the distractions. You know, "no, you can't play with that." "Uh oh another potty ?" "no it's not snack time now,"etc.

Actually I got to thinking today, what is an education anyway? I mean I am teaching the boys the basics of course; reading, writing & math. Plus some History, Science etc. Most of the time though I find myself subconsiously worrying about how well we are doing. Are they doing their times tables 'on time'? Are they reading at grade level? Will they pass their standarized testing in the Spring? I found myself inwardly 'freaking out' today when Tyler was telling me he was overwhelmed with the extra kids here and couldn't possible do his writing assignment. Then several times acted out in some very un-11-year-old ways.

Inside I was worrying if I'm making a mistake. How can I homeschool my boys well if I am chasing around two little boys? (and Naomi ) Maybe Tyler's right and I do need to listen to him. Am I putting too much of a strain on him and he feels responsible for more than he should? Or do I do what I feel is right for our family and make him follow suit? Then almost in the middle of it all Matthew began crying because he had peed his pants, right as Zaky shouted for me from the computer upstairs for help on his Language, just as Naomi started screaming because David had her braclet and she was forcefully grabbing it off of his arm. (Honestly, this all happened at once, as if it was timed.)

"Oh wow, what was I thinking?"

I ran to Matthew, "Stay right there, I'll be right back, don't move." As I went to get a towel. (Luckily he was on the laminate floor:) Then to Naomi, "Go to your room! I'll be up to talk to you in a minute." In the midst of all this sudden chaos Tyler jumped up and said, "I'll go help Zakary"


When I got back from cleaning up Matthew he was sitting quietly in the dining room doing his language assignment. A little while later he pitched in to help when David needed something and I was making lunch. And yet again offered his assistance voluntarily when one of the little ones asked for help.

The rest of the school day went by smoothly without a fit and I asked Tyler what made him feel better. He didn't know.

But I think I do. I think when he saw a need he was willing to help. He put aside his own woes and self-pity and began to do something that made a difference. It re-aligned his focus and he realized that he was fine. And his input was valued. These little guys needed him too.

I'm sure we will still have many more moments just like that one. But instead of feeling like I am making a mistake and robbing my children of their education by some of the distractions that little ones bring, I am going to remember that this is part of education too. Real life. Seeing a need and filling it. Being compassionate and willing to donate your time for others. And in the midst of it all, still completing your language assignment, with a good attitude.

No comments: