Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Eyes Wide Open

Having been challenged by my circumstances of late I am encouraged to be finding steps to take to pull me up out of my 'funk'. I was reminded in two separate ways on the same day that I can't look at things in just one way. There is a lack of life and 3-dimensionality when we only use one eye...but when we use both eyes we see things in such richness and color.
It's so easy to get caught up in the dimension of happenstance and events. Disappointments, unexpected hardships, and things just plain NOT going our way! All of this is very real and very much a part of each of our lives. It cannot be avoided or denied, nor should it be. But the real stuff of life comes when we open the eyes of our heart and view things through the lense of our spirit. Then the mundane or even the chaotic takes on a hue of meaninfulness.

For example; when I am facing not one, but two, squabbling 3 year-olds, the little guy screeching because he wants something faster than I can get it to him, the call from the other room of a dire need for help with his language, and the opera singing of an 11-yr-old whose high notes pierce my ears (but I to make him stop)...I feel, well, chaotic and unable to cope. In those moments I visualize locking myself in my room and pulling the covers over my head.
But in the eternal realm all of this seeming chaos is life at it's fullest, bursting at the seams with rich meaning and potential. In each situation there is opportunity for growth and revelation of truth. Three-year-olds need to learn conflict resolution and how to regard one anothers feelings as important as their own. Toddlers need to learn patience and the difficult lesson that life, unfortunately, does not revolve around their needs, no matter how pertinent. School age children need to learn that they are actually able to do more than they realize on their own and reading the directions really does help! And 11-year-olds need to recognize the time and place for their budding talent. In an atmosphere where all of these needs are pressing upon me as the primary resource I have to find balance and order and even a system of prioritizing which need is greatest at any given time. (usually the loudest:) I am challenged to treat each request for intervention as an opportunity to point each child to a greater truth than him or her self. In order to do this I must, absolutely must, keep both eyes open. Otherwise all I can do is run and hide. What purpose is there otherwise in subjecting oneself to some of the worst forms of aggravation known to man (or should I say woman)?

No, the view of eternity and true life is to recognize my role and stay on my feet as an example and a pointer to the one who gave life and continues to make that life more and more abundant.
There is purpose and endless resources at my disposal when I realize that He has provided for my every need and that my true needs aren't what I think they are. My need is not just to get through the day with my sanity, but something far greater. Something with much more value than crossing everything off of my list. Something that will have far reaching impact on the future and on eternity. Something I can only see with both eyes wide open.

2 comments:

Rebeca said...

That's a great post. A timely reminder for all of us, as life can seem so overwhelming at times. Bless you as you care for all the children!
Rebeca
Oh, and thanks for the catalogs. I hope to see my friend soon and pass one on to her.

Anonymous said...

Autumn, You are such an amazing writer. You express things so well. I am always amazed at the wisdom that you have, I wonder if you know how much you are carrying. I think you are awesome and I am proud to be your sister and privledged to hear your view on life.