Today was our school away from home. An unusual occurance in our house.
We are part of a resource center for homeschoolers where the children can take classes that supplement what we do here at home. Not just supplement, but open up some new and fun horizons for them as well.
For example:
My 6yo is learning to play the recorder and read music, something I don't know myself. (I am learning along with her.)
My 14yo is taking an acting class as well as a computer class using a program we don't have here at home and I have NO idea how to use. (inventor)
My 12yo is enjoying an electronics class, which I certainly don't know anything about.
I think it's nice that they get that exposure and I am glad that we are getting the opportunity to do these things. Sometimes I am torn because I come from a first generation homeschool family. My mom was one of the trailblazers of the movement back in the 80's when it wasn't as popular, or in some cases even heard of, and certainly NOT supported. So I sort of grew up with a 'dont' trust the government, they will take away your freedom' attitude.
With this in mind I felt leery of anything government funded that was supposed to 'help' us with our homeschooling. I guess I still am. But the decision was made for me this year when my husband said,
"Just do it. We pay taxes for schools just like everyone else does, in addition to
buying curriculum and all the other expenses that come with educating them. Let's
get something in return for that." (paraphrased by me)
I still don't know if there is really any 'right or wrong' in this matter. I know some will tell me there most certainly is! But for me, for now, I feel good about it. I think it's wise of our state to support homeschoolers. The evidence is out that it's a successful endeavor and benefits the future of our country rather then detracts from it.
Hopefully more states will see this and support their homeschooling communities too.
No comments:
Post a Comment